Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I Hate to Exercise!!!

Sound familiar?  Have you heard that before? or Are you the one who is shouting this?  All the excuses can be pinpointed to one source, “Internal Motivators”.

What are Internal Motivators? Internal is defined as “situated inside”.   By inside, I mean within your mind.  I often communicate with my clients that in order to achieve a goal, that goal has to be owned by you.  You have to want it not just for one day but throughout the entire goal achieving process.  My role in goal setting, as a personal trainer, is to help with the process of setting realistic goals followed by mastering those goals and then reaching  for the next goal on the ladder of success.  I remember when my late husband would lovingly communicate with me that my breakfast consisting of a diet coke and M&M’s was not good by any means for any reason.  I didn’t care.  My breakfast tasted so yummy.  My “Ah Hah” moment took place when I saw myself in the mirror and thought, “Oh My Head!  Is that really you standing in the mirror?  You say you want to lose weight and get in shape, but look at you.  What caused you to be in such a state?”  As I stood there disgusted with what I’ve let myself turn into, I did a quick inventory of what led to this.  I realized that my actions did not line up with my wants.  I had started each day with failure.  I quickly spiraled further away from what I wanted to be.  I decided at that moment to begin my day with success and strive to be successful in everything I did throughout the day!  I don’t drink diet colas and eat M&M’s for breakfast any more.  I know both still taste delicious.    

Motivator is an incentive, a move to action, and is always positive.  This is why I urge my clients to set small goals while focusing on the big picture.  Again, my job is to guide my clients in setting realistic goals.  If these are not achieved, I ask my clients to ponder why not?  What can they change to meet those goals?  Most importantly, I ask, “Are you really going to change to meet those goals?”  Forgiveness is an imperative part in goal setting.  For example, if you miss a workout on Monday that doesn’t mean your whole week is shot.  Forgive yourself! Forget it! Start over!  You get a new chance!  Tomorrow…

 Internal Motivators: 

Stop thinking of exercise as a chore.  Think of the small achievable goals.  Celebrate the goals you have accomplished.  Success is a pleasant experience.

Exercise can be a pleasant experience.  Do something you like.  Take a brisk walk or run with the dog.  Play with your kids at the park.  Listen to audible books on your iPod while walking or ellipticalling or treadmilling.  Go dancing.  Hire a personal trainer, like me, who encourages and motivates you to attain.

Plan how to fit exercise into already busy schedule such as make it an appointment in your calendar.  Exercise while watching TV.  Make commercials useful, do crunches, push ups, leg raises, etc. during commercials.  Park in a space further away from the office building door, grocery store, mall and so on.

Recognize that exercise isn’t just learning how to use your body to perform a swing or swim a lap, it also entails learning how to use your mind to drive yourself into action and continue to equate yourself as someone whose identity is connected with exercise.

No Excuses!  Just Results!


No comments:

Post a Comment